- Come to class prepared. Follow the suggestions for individual study. You will find that careful preparation will greatly enrich your time spend in group discussion.
- Be willing to participate in the discussion. The leader of the lesson will not be lecturing. Instead, he or she will be moderating — encouraging class members to discuss what they have learned. The leader will be asking the questions that are part of each lesson.
- Stick to the topic being discussed. Your answers should be based on the verses which are the focus of the discussion and not on outside authorities such as commentaries or speakers. These studies focus on a particular passage of Scripture. Only rarely should you refer to other portions of the Bible. This allows for everyone to participate in in-depth study on equal ground.
- Be sensitive to the other members of the group. Listen attentively when they describe what they have learned. You may be surprised by their insights ! Each question assumes a variety of answers. Many questions do not have “right” answers, particularly question that aim at meaning or application. Instead, the questions push us to explore the passage more thoroughly. When possible, link what you say to the comments of others. Also, be affirming whenever you can. This will encourage some of the more hesitant members of the class to participate.
- Be careful not to dominate the discussion. We are sometimes so eager to express our thoughts that we leave too little opportunity for others to respond. By all means, participate! But allow other to do so too.
- Expect God to teach you through the passage being discussed and through the other members of the group. Pray that you will have an enjoyable and profitable time together, but also that, as a result of the study, you will find ways that you can take action individually and/or as a group.
- Remember that anything said in the group is considered confidential and should not be discussed outside the group unless specific permission is give to do so.
- If you are the lesson leader, you will find addition suggestions at the back of the study guide.
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: https://kgarry.wordpress.com/words-of-wisdom/the-season-of-advent/suggestions-for-group-study/trackback/